I realize this is a more than obvious observation but life, as basic as you can make it is one big series of transitions. Just when you think you've mastered one phase of your life, outside of any control you are on to the next whether you like it or not.
With the kids I've tried to dictate their transitions due to my fear or laziness of not wanting to do deal with yet again something new. (I know how brutal am I).
Anyway, I wanted to prolong Hayden's transition from a crib to a bed for both of the above reasons I shamelessly admitted to, but I had no choice but to just deal. Hayden being such a big boy was going to kill himself trying to escape so for his safety, (and my sanity) we switched him to a bed. The transition was easy and I don't really have any complaints. He escapes from time to time but for the most part it's going quite well. (Not including this morning as I put him back to bed at 4:00am about 10x only to end up sleeping on his floor as he played around me until 5:30 - awesome).
We are now on to potty training. Again, something I have not had the energy to deal with and frankly had no clue what to do if I did feel like taking it on. Well this inevitable transition came along and is staring me right in the face. Every time H goes he tells me and insists (even if it's just a pee) that I change him. He hates the feeling of his diaper and I have caught him trying to remove it. So yes, I know....how can I fight what nature is trying to tell me.
So....me being my neurotic self I start reading, reading and reading. I start asking questions and suddenly my focus this week has been on the "how to's". After some research a good friend sent me over a "manual" and after reading it from cover to cover I have to say I am PUMPED UP.
Bring on the accidents, bring on the learning curve, bring on the potty and bring on this next transition.
We can try to avoid what's next to come but sooner or later we just have to stare that new phase in the eye, own it, embrace it and make it our bitch. :)
Wish me luck...
Friday, September 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment