I've realized recently that I've turned into the person that can only talk about the kids, motherhood, staying at home and everything that goes with all of the above. Now, as much as I do love this role in my life it seems to have dominated my life leaving me with this feeling of "who the heck am I now?
With lack of sounding dramatic (ha ha) I am on the hunt for me again. After two years of reading books and books and books about babies I have decided to walk away from that and get back to the books that I love that have nothing to do with the kids. I just finished Book of Negros (which I loved loved loved) and am now on to Ingredients for life- which I'm loving as well.
With only the evenings after seven to myself I have also decided to take full advantage of that time. So in addition to my running (which is on hold right now because I pulled a muscle lifting the kids - which really is a blessing in disguise because I would have ended up in a ditch somewhere if I ran the Sporting life 10k this year.) I have decided to take a cooking course... because for those who know me know that I am not the Martha Stewart of the upper east side (of TO). A little research needs to be done to find the course which suits me best, so more info on that to come later. I have also decided that I want to learn how to swing dance. I know, makes no sense... but when you see your identity flying out the window, strange things in the back of your mind emerge when you realize you need to take your life by the horns before it really is no longer your life as an individual.
My Oma (grandmother in German) told me yesterday that 33 and 35 (myself and marcus) are "beautiful" ages to be and to enjoy this stage. Seeing that my Oma is 82 I thought she may just know a thing or two about "the beautiful stages in life". I'm going to take her advice instead of only having this blog to remember it by.
So running, reading, writing, cooking and dancing. I'm pretty excited to dive in and get to know myself once again.
The last time I got to know myself was when I went backpacking. It seems every major event in our lives brings out this other side of ourselves. It must be natures way of forcing us to learn and become (in hopes) a better person. Even if it means becoming a person you're not in love with first...
The quest to look outside of this mom begins....
Friday, April 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Great post - you inspire me!!! I'm still in middle of "book of negroes"...awesome book. Talk with you this weekend perhaps? Hope you had a good week....I need to hear your new thoughts in person! See you later, the babes call.....Louise
Post a Comment